Tuesday 13 September 2011

Simple, quick, easy crochet mittens

How to crochet, free crochet patterns, mittens, fingerless, mitts,

Autumnal equinox is coming!

Here in the northern hemisphere the sun will soon cross the celestial equator and move south, taking the warmth and long daylight hours with it!

However, before the coming of the winter darkness, the autumnal equinox which occurs about 22/23rd September also heralds the time of the harvest moon, which is the full moon closest to this date, and that is happening right now, today is Sept 12 and it's a full moon!

OMG, I am going out right now to see if the night is clear of clouds to get a photo.

Harvest Moon, Sept 12, 2011
Oh yes here it is a photo of the harvest moon, shame I didn't think of it before now (it is 9.30pm) anyway I have a photo for you.  I also took a photo yesterday as well it was taken a bit earlier in the evening but today is the moon that counts.

Harvest Moon, Sept 11, 2011
Wow, how exciting! you would not believe how often the full moon is obscured by clouds here. Of course, I get very excited when I can actually get to view the full moon. WOW, I seem to have gone right off track here, where is the crochet stuff?

Well, all this moon stuff started with thinking about the coming of cooler autumn days, and how it is now a good time to start those projects for some simple and quick fingerless mittens. I also have a collection of new patterns coming soon,  just need to tear myself away from the actual crocheting and set myself down and put the words into the computer, so I can release the patterns.

Here is the list of new patterns coming soon!


Crochet Mobius "Country Tracks"

It's a man thing! Long crochet Mobius with a country tracks texture pattern, designed to roll. Keep it simple - worked in the round, no seams to sew. Made with Jarol Pure British Wool Aran. View details.

Crochet Fingerless Mittens "Lilac"

This lovely pair of mittens with accompanying headband can be made with Bendigo 8ply Cotton or any similar 8ply or DK yarn. The pattern has a ribbed texture and complimented with a simple contrast edge and two buttons. The crochet headband is worked using the famous Mobius style with some surprise features. View details.

Crochet Fingerless Mittens "Country"

Another It's a man thing! pattern. My husband will be the first recipient of these fingerless mittens. Robust and manly, made with Patons Wool Blend Aran.

Crochet Headband and Fingerless Mittens "Loopy"

This is a simple crochet pattern for a headband (neckwarmer) and fingerless mittens with optional thumb section and made with James C. Brett Pure Merino DK. Perfect for spring/autumn wear.

Crochet Fingerless Mittens "Shells"

This is a revised version of my very early pattern Crochet Mittens Aran (NO longer available).  I have totally rewritten the pattern and improved the instructions and thrown out some bits. So basically you could say it's a brand new pattern.  Made with Sirdar Balmoral, this yarn is now discontinued, so before I release the pattern I will find a substitute yarn.  View details.

For your information: all my fingerless mitten patterns are crochet in the round, starting at the cuff, no seams to sew and some have an optional thumb section.  You can wear the mittens on either hand, the pattern is the same for both left and right mittens.

That's all for now, folks!
Ciao, Ciao!